Helsinki Design Week provides designers and design teams an opportunity to make their work part of the HDW HOP city installation series in September.
HDW HOP city installations take over Helsinki once again from 6 to 16 September 2018. They’ll share the theme of our festival: TRUST. Learn more about the theme here. The installations shall represent the versatility of design, highlight the possibilities of making use of the city space and make a lasting impression in the built environment.
Last year talented designers and collectives created six temporary installations that focused on the needs of a city in development and meeting these needs with design and architecture. The installations caught the attention of the general public as well as Finnish and international media. The Tikku (“Stick”) house designed by Marco Casagrande was so popular that people queued to visit it on Keskuskatu. In total, the HDW HOP installations attracted more than 50 000 visitors. You can see all 2017 installations here.
This year, Helsinki Design Week will provide one designer or design team the opportunity to make their work part of the installation series.
The Helsinki Design Week production team will make the selection among applications. The winner will receive production funding from Helsinki Design Week depending on the type and scope of the installation. Existing materials and partnerships will be seen as an advantage when making the selection. We’d like the applications to focus on the impressiveness and surprise factors of the installation as well as its ability to encourage interaction with the visitors and highlight the theme of trust.
The proposal must meet the following criteria:
- The installation must address the theme, Trust, from any point of view.
- It can represent design, architecture, a technological solution, sound design or a combination of the above.
- It must be designed to take place in a city square or street in the centre of Helsinki. It should fit into a maximum space of 25 m2. Since the installation is temporary, it cannot be built on a fixed foundation. Therefore the design must include support structures, fastening methods and safety issues. In addition, the installation should be easy to access without excessively disturbing street traffic or pedestrians.
Please submit application in PDF format including the following:
- Written description of the designer/team, the work and its relation to the theme of Trust (max. 1 A4 page)
- A rendered image or sketch of the work including preliminary technical solutions and fastening methods (1–2 A4 pages)
Send the application in a zip file, the maximum size of which is 10 MB. You apply in Finnish or in English.
For more information, please contact Moona Tikka, moona.tikka(at)helsinkidesignweek.com / +358 50 358 8786. Please submit your application by 15 February 2018 to moona.tikka(at)helsinkidesignweek.com. We’ll inform all applicants about the winner by the end of February.